Arya Girls’ Secondary School
The school is located on Taita Road, off Muranga Road. Seth Shri Rajratna Nanji Bhai Kalidas Mehta laid the foundation stone of this school on 1st December 1936. It took only 4 months to complete the construction and was then officially opened by Hon. E.G. Morris, O.B.E the Director of Education, on 17th April 1937.
The available records indicate that the history of this school dates back to 1952 when Arya Samaj community started it as a missionary school. Smt. Shantidevi and Smt. Mayavanti donated money for the construction of the entrance gate of the school. The main mission of Arya Samaj was to absorb those pupils who did not secure admission in Government aided schools or National schools after appearing for their CPE equivalent examination. It started with one Form 1 class and went up to Form 4.
In the early history of the school the studentship comprised of all Asian students in conformity with laws of the land, but later on, with the change in times there had been greater intake of African students. It imparts education to approximately 300 students. Mrs. Daya Bhalla and many other headteachers before her under the managership of Mr. R.L. Khanna, contributed a great deal to uplift the school standards.
The school made tremendous progress throughout and slowly and steadily has grown into a prestigious institution offering Kenyan system of Education (K.C.S.E). In 1994 it also started providing the London GCE system. It aims at providing quality education by charging moderate fee. The management has provided all the necessary learning facilities. It was during the headship of Mrs. Sharda Sharma (1985 -1999) that the school got approval for starting the London GCE curriculum and attained top positions in Oratory, Science Congress, National Music Festival and writing competitions etc.
Besides the normal academic activities, participation in extra curricular activities amongst the students is encouraged. Games and clubs such as Wild life, Environment, Science Club, Arts Club, Drama, Rangers are special features of the school. The school also gives a lot of importance to the Indian cultural activities.
The school has spacious library, which is enriched with a lot of books. This library was initially in a comparatively smaller room–The Bhakoo library –, which was built in the loving memeory of the late Shri Karam Chand Bhakoo and was officially opened on 15th March 1979, by the Hon. J. Ole Tipis, M.P. an assistant minister in the President’s office.
It is spread over an area of two and a half acre of land. It has 25 rooms, 19 teachers and 13 non-teaching staff members in the institution. The school emblem shows its three characteristics namely ‘knowledge, duty and character’. The school has a library for the students and it publishes ‘The Aryan Sunbeam’ magazine.