Parklands Arya Girls’ High School


Parklands Arya Girls’ High School

This educational institution was originally situated in the present ‘Queensway House’ (where there is Barclays Bank), under the name ‘Arya Kenya Pathshala’. It was again started in 1948 on Taita Street under the same name. Both Primary  as well as secondary education was imparted in it. Later on, its higher secondary section was shifted to Parklands. It was unanimously decided in the Antrang Sabha meeting held in 1953, that a temporary branch of  Arya Kanya Pathshala should be opened in Shraddhanand Brahmacharya Ashram on January 1,1954. It was decided that a new school should be opened in Parklands, if and when the government approved. A sub committee consisting of Shri Mohinder Pal Chodha, Bajraj Kapila, A Pritam, and Jagannath Sharma was formed to take necessary further steps in this direction. The committee was reorganized on November 25, 1954, with Shri Balraj Kapila, Mahinder Pal Chodha and Amritsariamall as its members. It was announced in the meeting of Antrang Sabha held on February 1, 1955, that different names for this school mentioned below, had been suggested in the general in the general meeting held on October 17, 1954:- Shraddhanand Arya Vidyalaya ‘,’ Dayanand Arya School ‘ etc. A sub committee was formed after this, to collect funds for this purpose. A managing committee consisting of 11 members was also formed, in order to ensure compliance of the directives given by the government in its letter. The foundation stone was laid down by the then Minister of Education Hon. Mr. W.C. Coutts on 11th February, 1957.

The school was constructed within the stipulated time. Thereafter, His Excellency, Sir Evelyn Bring, the then Governor, performed the inauguration of the newly-constructed building on June 10, 1957 (then Arya Girls’ Senior School). Construction of different rooms and library etc. continued from time to time. Later on (in 1972-73), the control of Secondary and Higher Education was passed on  to a Board of Governors in line with the policy of the Ministry of Education in accordance with the Kenyanisation policy of the Government. At present its management   is in the hands of the Board of Governors, in conjuction with the ministry of education. Mr. Justice S.K. Sachdeva has been the chairman of this board in the past. The Board of Governors is appointed by Ministry Education. Majority of the members of the Board are nominees of Arya Samaj Nairobi. The campus of the school comprises 17 bighas (about 2 quarters acres) of land, where all buildings, suitable for a big institution exist. The ownership of this land and the buildings on it is that of Arya Samaj Nairobi and Arya Pratinidhi Sabha East Africa; but the Board of Governors manages the funds. Arya Samaj Nairobi is making efforts to get back the school as similar schools belonging to other religious communities have had their status regularized by the Government. The school population stands at about 600.